Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Review - Beginner's Guide to Interactive Virtual Field Trips (Jan Zanetis, Learning and Leading with Technology, March/April 2010)

Virtual field trips (VFTs) have been around for a while, allowing students to experience locales away from the school at little or no cost. Interactive VFTs (IVFTs) take that to the next level and bring active, involved learning into the mix.

Zanetis begins with a description of traditional, asynchronous VFTs, even offering a selection of links to aggregator sites (p. 20). Her description of interactive VFTs outlines the additional advantages these synchronous events bring and the enhanced learning that occurs when students can further engage the presenter, making the experience personal. I was especially impressed by not only her description, but the list of IVFT sites and introduction of the Center for Interactive Learning and Communication (CILC) as a resource for teachers.

I did have one issue with the article, namely that the author jumped into a discussion of the technical considerations at the beginning and did not fully explain the tech requirements. For example, what exactly is a codec, and why is it required over available technology like webcams and existing meeting software? That part of the article took up the first three paragraphs and risked losing the audience before getting into substance. I know what that technology is and I was even confused by her explanation.

Overall, Zanetis makes a good case for IVFTs. There are clear advantages to this kind of learning experience, and she describes those advantages well. IVFTs also meet several NETS-S standards, especially in the areas of communication and collaboration, research and information fluency, and critical thinking. The article should be reprinted in educational publications with a broader audience.

3 comments:

  1. Tom, I really enjoyed reading your blog on virtual fieldtrips. I definitely agree with you that there are clear advantage to these types of learning experiences. I think as an educator, I would definitely take advantage of both types of VFT....often for the same lesson. I think if a student can use the Asynchronous VFT to learn the initial information, then follow up with the interactive VFT, that it can really compound their learning experience. Well written Tom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also agree that there is a clear educational advantage in the use of Virtual Field Trips. With this technology teachers can transport their students to places they might never have the ability to access in real life. How great would it be to take your students to the virtual Louvre? Or to the virtual pyramids of Egypt? Or even to a virtual ancient Rome? I can absolutely see myself integrating this technology in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom,

    I agree that the idea of Virtual Field Trips is great and I would definitely incorporate them into my curriculum. I would want to use technology to aid in the process of teaching children and showing them places we would never be able to go, however I also see great value in actual, tangible trips lessons and labs. While I agree that this is a great tool, I also feel that being present in a museum is a different experience than going there through an online portal.

    ReplyDelete