Sunday, March 13, 2011

Scaffolding math learning with spreadsheets

This article by Margaret Niess (Learning & Leading with Technology, Volume 32, Number 5) is one of the best and simplest explanations I have seen regarding the use of spreadsheets in math education. Easy to use problems with well-explained rationale are presented. Dr. Niess illustrates how having students use formula functions in a spreadsheet not only enhances their understanding of the subject matter, but also uses NETS-S standards to enhance their use of technology.

Having taught many Excel classes, I try to get the students to think like the computer. Writing the formula in the proper way requires linear understanding. I especially liked her explanation of absolute versus relative values when copying formulas. The years of having students write out long lists of computations are past - spreadsheet programs are here for that reason, and learning to use them gives the students solid preparation for working life. Employers don't care if you can do math in your head - they care if you can solve a problem correctly.

I think all math teachers should read and heed this article.

2 comments:

  1. Tom, I think you are absolutely right! Preparing students for real life experience in the "outside world" is truly what is going to benefit them in the long run. Employers want to know you can get the correct answers...and get the jo done. Preparing students for this by gaining knowledge with Excel will benefit them in a huge way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more. I love excel and spreadsheet functions myself. What I remember being deemed "mental math" holds no weight in my everyday life, nor with my work. Knowing how to manipulate a spreadsheet, work with formulas, and using quick tricks got me every job I've ever had. Beginning with math is a great way to learn the tools and a great way to insure children are becoming problem solvers using technology at an early age.

    ReplyDelete