Saturday, February 26, 2011

Digital Edition: Shifting The Landscape

It's funny how almost anything published about technology is dated or outdated as soon as it comes out. The points raised in this August 2009 article seem so quaint since it has all come to pass and alreadyt been update, yet the authors do make some solid points.

I especially liked the concept of fabrication on demand. The content sits on a server somewhere and only turns into a "book" when someone orders it. The current generation of e-readers and pad computers can hold thousands of these books, and do not even require an Internet connection if equipped with 3G or 4G connectivity. I have purchased e-books while at the airport by pushing three buttons, and my Kindle is a lot easier to carry than even a small paperback. Imagine a student carrying a single e-reader instead of 40 pounds of books.

It remains to be seen how this movement proceeds in the textbook arena. Digital publication allows for instantaneous updating, but there is a large commitment to physical textbooks at every level of the educational infrastructure. All in all, though, I think the ability to take the library with the individual, rather than the opposite, will be transformational.

3 comments:

  1. You make some great points Tom. The idea of students carrying around 40 pounds of books seems silly in today's world when really they could just be carrying around a Kindle or other portable devices, and have access to any and all written material in the palm of their hand. If we, as a society want to compete with the ever challenging demands in this world...it's about time we rise to the occasion! I would LOVE to see this type of technology being used in our schools. Besides, think of all the money on textbooks that we would save....thus there just might be some extra money available for other school supplies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the implementation of digital textbooks will be transformational. E-readers provide unprecedented access to texts, including literally millions of free public domain publications. I feel that having a text book in digital format will not only relieve the physical burden of carrying a heavy text, but will ignite curiosity and inspire students to actually read the text. Textbooks are so familiar and can seem daunting based on their size. I believe a student will be more than excited to use an e-reader to peruse their textbooks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree. I can't wait to see textbooks available online. I can only hope that my children are afforded this opportunity. Besides saving money, time, and kids backs (from carrying books), this will be so much more relateable to them. Everything is becoming "digitized" so why should textbooks be any different??

    ReplyDelete